
"Valley Girl (or Val, Val Gal) is a term originally referring to affluent upper-middle class girls living in the bedroom community neighborhoods of San Fernando Valley[1]." Thanks Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_girl
Why is there such a negative connotation with "The Valley" in Los Angeles? I moved here having that judgmental attitude towards the valley. Is it because it's ten degrees hotter in the valley than everywhere else? Or the assumption there's no "scene" in the valley? Really though, I think it's because of pop culture references.
Let's take "Clueless" for instance. In an exchange between Cher and her father...
Mel: Where are you?
Cher: I'm just having a snack at my girlfriend's.
Mel: Where, in Kuwait?
Cher: Is that in the valley?
Now this exchange makes you think the valley is "like so far" from civilization. Not to mention the other references Cher makes when they go to a party in the valley and Elton leaves her deserted in the "middle of nowhere." Then look at the new "Melrose Place" on the CW. Ella, Katie Cassidy, comments, "If I hadn't learned that, I'd still be commuting to Beverly Hills from Van Nuys in a hatchback." In other words, if she hadn't learned to go after what she wants she wouldn't be living on Melrose in Hollywood and she'd still be living in Van Nuys, in the valley.
Despite pop culture references there's gotta be more to it than this right? I mean I read the books about twins Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield at "Sweet Valley High." I've also met a lot of cool people working in the Los Angeles area who grew up in the valley and liked it. Not to mention at this point having lived in LA for a while, there's a lot of places in the valley I know of and visit especially when I'm working there at one of the studios.
So why am I bringing this all up? Because this girl is moving to the valley. I will soon be a "Valley Girl" living in Burbank and commuting to the studios and to Hollywood. Not to mention trying to get away from the heat and escaping back to Redondo Beach where I will be leaving very soon. I think I've had countless people ask, "Why would you move from the beach to the valley?" Great question. No excellent question. But unfortunately I have a lame answer. Save money on a cheaper place, commute a much shorter distance to work, and live closer to most of my friends. And who says I won't be visiting my friends in Redondo on the weekends, and especially in the summer. Gotta get away from the heat somehow!
All I ask is if I totally start using any "Valspeak" like seriously slap me silly. Don't wanna be a Joanie. As if. Well, I'm outtie!
