Friday, November 13, 2009

Scrub a Dub Duds

I'm like the biggest laundry nerd. I like to be able to do laundry when I want and when I need to. I HATE, no I LOATHE doing laundry at laundromats. Maybe it's my days in Texas when my roommates and I would go together and pile our laundry in and we'd sit in these non air conditioned places where you felt like you needed to strip just to clean the clothes on your back it was so humid. Or maybe it's the fact I hate hoarding quarters to save for these epic days.

I've been so lucky to have had a washer and dryer inside my last two apartments. It's like a little piece of bliss. I spill something on myself or get spilled on in a bar, no sweat. Throw it in when you get home or the next morning and no worries. I work out everyday and play softball on clay dirt and I don't want that red dirt to stain or sweat smell to settle, no problem. Not to mention it's free!

But now that I'm moving I'm back to a communal laundry room with my laundry basket and the old school shit to deal with. You know what I'm talking about?! You forget about your laundry and someone impatient or under a time constraint throws your clothes on top of the dirty dryer or washer in a dirty laundry room. I mean, I don't really want some old dude pulling out my underwear and putting it out for all to see and for him to touch. Not exactly something I want to think about. Or the fact that some people have sticky fingers and there goes your favorite shirt. It just took a walk into someone else's closet. Not to mention that some dryers don't work as well because there are too many people using them and they end up breaking or not drying your clothes sucking more money out of you. It's like you have to devote so much time to protect your laundry from strangers and ensure it gets done. And what about the fact that you could have clothes in the dryer and it breaks as soon as you put quarters in. Not only are you SOL but you have to call maintenance and wait days until it gets fixed. I actually heard some dude on my kickball team talk about how he has saved himself so much money by using a paperclip or some other item to make the washer and dryer think he just put a quarter in. Brilliant. Too bad my new place doesn't use quarters. It's a card. These apartment managers get smarter all the time.

But seriously, do you have any idea how much laundry sucks when you don't have your own to use as you please?! It's no wonder people wear the same thing the next day hoping no one notices!