Thursday, September 22, 2011
What about academia?
Sitting in the cafe at the library I'm surrounded by undergrads and more undergrads with the token grad student or staff member of the library. Being back in academia after years of working out in the "real world" I can't help but have a distinctive view. What is it about academics and conversation beat to a dead horse? I praise conversation and welcome it as I missed having educated conversations about issues other than "What should I wear?" or "Does this make me look fat?" to "Somebody get me a latte!" or "Where the hell did my notebook go?" or even "Get him on the phone now!" So maybe my previous years were surrounded by a bit more superficiality and minutia than most fields but that doesn't we weren't productive. Sometimes the conversation needs to end and proactivity needs to begin. Sometimes it is better to act before you think because if you think too much you may overanalyze and end up stifling creativity.
Be passionate, be creative, be proactive! Just my thought for the day as I drink my latte while typing away at the keys on my laptop wishing I would be more proactive and take this time to write something worthwhile rather than my thoughts running rampant. Stream of consciousness becomes such an overwhelming distraction. You should be ecstatic I'm not letting my inner dialogue run even more wild. There's some student with his friend on speaker phone talking in another language while I just previously overheard a conversation on taxes, Charlie Sheen, and economic disparity. What the hell does Charlie Sheen have to say now? He can't be "winning." Speaking of which, anyone seen "Anthony Cooper 360" on CNN?
Movies to see (Oscar watch 2012):
MONEYBALL, IDES OF MARCH, and if you haven't already seen it, THE HELP.
