Monday, March 15, 2010

The -Ness

I'm sitting at work talking to my co-worker and posing the question, "Is geniusness a word?" The response I get, "Sure. It's not in Webster's Dictionary but I took a cultural studies class where we used the -ness to add essence." (Maybe not word for word how the conversations went but BRILLIANTNESS!)

So in light of unlocking this discussion I looked up "The Ness" on google. What do I get? Not what I expected. http://www.theness.com/ The New England Skeptical Society. Not only does this cater to my nerdy love for science but you're looking at one of the average Skeptics. What do I usually mention in most of my posts?! QUESTION EVERYTHING! (I was groomed from an early age kind of like I was trained to use the ladies room before I leave anywhere, and I mean anywhere.) But frankly despite the radness of this site this is not the point.

The "-ness" is what you can add to just about any word and add eloquence and give emphasis. Think about the Loch Ness monster and the River Ness. I mean yes the myth precedes itself but the River Ness and Scotsmen had no idea it would have such a killer name. So let's give a few examples shall we. (And for you video game nerds, this has nothing to do with the Nintendo game "Earthbound" and its character Ness even though he may have a bit of awesomeness since he uses a baseball bat to fight but I just learned he existed so forgive my naiveness of Nintendo games.)

Geniusness
Greatness
Brilliantness
Courageousness
Brightness
Awesomeness
Radness
Dudeness (Maybe this is a stretch but I like describing The Big Lebowski as "His Dudeness." I mean that just sounds like royalty.)
Rudeness
Sadness
Happiness
Forgetfulness
Thoughtfulness
Thoughtlessness (Ssssssuck on that one)
Hopelessness
Helpfulness
Goodness
Neediness
Pokiness (I had a softball coach named Poky. No joke. But yeah he was a joke.)
Coolness
Amazingness
Sweetness

I'd just like to point out that next time you are writing an email or describing someone or something why not throw in a -NESS.

I will now sign off here as "Yours truly, JStewNess" (This just sounds like a soup. Maybe I'll opt for Jessness? Maybe not.)